Tuesday, June 19, 2012

First time working 3D

pen, acrylic, and pen
on glass

This project consisted of creating a narrative Illustration on a 3D object. Working on a 3D surface was something I have never done before but it was definitely and eye opener. I decided to take an my old whiskey decanter that my mother gave me and bring the story of it onto the bottle itself. 

Two years ago I took a year off from school to work. During that year I bartended at a local bar almost every night until close. I would get home at 1, 2, sometimes even 3am and wouldn't be able to fall asleep. A bar guest once recommended to pour myself one whiskey on the rocks and relax. Worked like a charm. It was the one part of my day I would get home, take off my tie, pour myself a drink, and unwind after a long night. It was pure relaxation. 


"Classy Bum"
watercolor and pen

The second part of the project was to create a piece that incorporates your object in any way you wanted. I originally was going to make piece where you would normally see a whiskey decanter, like a classy bar scene with a gentlemen and lady in conversation. BORING. I then played with the idea of seeing this classy object with an unexpected owner. The juxtaposition of having a bum pouring himself some whiskey out of this fancy decanter had some humor that I wanted to elaborate on. The penguins reactions are confused and angry to this unusual situation and also act as another simplistic element to the setting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment